About the AAUP
The mission of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is to advance academic freedom and shared governance; to define fundamental professional values and standards for higher education; to promote the economic security of faculty, academic professionals, graduate students, post‐doctoral fellows, and all those engaged in teaching and research in higher education; to help the higher education community organize to make our goals a reality; and to ensure higher education's contribution to the common good.
Founded in 1915, the AAUP has helped to shape American higher education by developing the standards and procedures that maintain quality in education and academic freedom in this country's colleges and universities.
• We believe higher education is a fundamental human right to which freedom of inquiry and expression are integral.
• We defend academic freedom and shared governance.
• We produce and promote the best policy documents in higher education.
• We promote the economic security of faculty, academic professionals, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and all those engaged in teaching and research.
• We bring higher education professionals together for collective action.
• To provide training and advice to our chapters, conferences, and members.
• To challenge institutions of higher education that violate norms of academic freedom, tenure, and shared governance.
• To organize the higher education community to defend our principles and common interests.
• To support collective bargaining as a means to strengthen and protect our core principles of academic freedom and shared governance.
• To advocate for AAUP policies and defend the profession, including in the courts through amicus briefs.